Sunday, April 23, 2017

Dad travels solo with a toddler. Would you try?

A few days ago I read an article on the Huffington Post of a father from China who decided to travel solo with his two-year-old to Taiwan for a week, leaving the mom home. Not only they had tons of fun (he claimed that it was one of the best trips in his life), but also they had their relationship redefined, in a very good way. He learned a lot of new things he never knew about the child, but also about himself as a dad. He shared his knowledge and experience by showing her the world himself. The bonus, they gave the mom a well deserved "break" from them for a week.

My husband and our toddler on a wooden boat, sailing back from Sempu Island in Malang, East Java

I told my husband the story and he seemed challenged. He said he would do it, but he's not too sure if he can do it just yet. Don't get me wrong, my husband is a super dad. He changes the kids' diapers more than I do (we cloth diaper, mind you), he babywears both kids, he goes to the movies with our toddler, he takes her the whole day so I get a day for myself (and the newborn). Our toddler is extremely attached to him.

However, traveling with a toddler by himself is a whole different thing. They'd go with a plane somewhere new (most probably) outside the country, sleeps in a hotel for some nights, being with each other 24/7 for several days, experience new things, just the two of them. Without mommy.

My husband and the toddler in a jetway of Zagreb airport, entering a plane to fly to Doha
I'm not sexist, but for some reason the notion of a mom traveling with a child seems more familiar. As a matter of fact, I'm abroad at the moment with the kids without my husband, and it doesn't seem too big of a deal. I'd be flying home with them by myself. A dad with a child going somewhere far and new for multiple days? Not as familiar.

The two of them at Srau Beach in Pacitan, East Java
I'd really like my husband to experience it, it could be the time of their lives, could be the best memory they'll share for the rest of their lives. I mean, it's fun when we all travel together as we always do, but without me and the newborn, it could be something special, something extraordinary, which, they might regret in the end if they never do it while she's so little.

He took her to experience Indonesian traditional market

As the father from the article shows his toddler what he does for living by showing her the world (he's a professional photographer for world famous magazines), I dare my husband to do similar thing to our toddler. Showing her big seaports, busy airports, amazing tunnels, long bridges (he works on transport infrastructures) in different places, or, he can simply take a few days off and take her to Disneyland Paris or Legoland Gunzburg?

So fathers, would you do it? Or, if you're a mother like I am, would you encourage your partner to take a mini adventure with your child(ren) without you?



1 comment:

  1. Creativity of writer is purely impressive. It has touched to the level of expertise with his writing. Everything is up to the mark. Written perfectly and I can use such information for my coming assignment.safari island maldives

    ReplyDelete